This is a list of top ten strange military vehicles of second World War (WWII 1939 to 1945).
1. Rhino Heavy Armoured Car
Rhino, was an armoured car designed in Australia during the Second World War. Due to enemy action and design problems the project never got beyond a prototype stage. The vehicle was completed by a welded turret with 30 mm all-round protection similar in design to that of the Crusader tank. The armament consisted of a QF 2 pounder Mk IX gun and a coaxial .303-inch Vickers machine gun.
Here’s another list: Top 10 Weird Military Cars of World War I.
2. Fox Armoured Car
The Fox Armoured Car was a wheeled armoured fighting vehicle produced by Canada in the Second World War. Built by General Motors, Canada, based on the British Humber Armoured Car hull on a CMP chassis. The turret was manually traversed and fitted with 0.303 and 050 in machine guns. The four man crew consisted of the vehicle commander, the driver, a gunner and a wireless operator. 1506 vehicles were manufactured.
3. Humber LRC Mk IIIA
The Humber Light Reconnaissance Car, also known as Humberette or Ironside, was a British armoured car produced during the Second World War. The car based on the Humber Super Snipe chassis (as was the 4×4 Humber Heavy Utility car). It was equipped with a No. 19 radio set. From 1940 to 1943 over 3600 units were built.
4. Canadian GM Mark I
Also known as Otter Light Reconnaissance Car, was a light armoured car produced by Canada during the Second World War for British and Commonwealth. The Otter was based on the Chevrolet C15 Canadian Military Pattern truck chassis and used many standard GM components. The armament consisted of a hull-mounted Boys anti-tank rifle and a Bren light machine gun in a small open-topped turret. Although it used a more powerful engine than the Humber, it was larger and heavier (by a ton); overall performance was less than the Humber.
The BA-64 was a 4×4 light armoured car, employed by the Soviet Army from 1942 into the early 1960s for reconnaissance and liaison tasks. The BA-64B was nicknamed ‘Bobik’ by its crews. The total recorded number of BA-64s produced differs even in Russian sources. The most frequently-stated figures are 9,110 vehicles which were built in the GAZ automobile plant.
6. Standard Beaverette
Standard Car 4×2, or Car Armoured Light Standard, better known as the Beaverette, was a British armoured car produced during World War II.
7. S1 Scout Car
This armoured car produced in Australia for the US Army during the Second World War. The vehicle was based on a Ford F15 4×2 chassis (a single 4×4 vehicle was built). The open-topped armoured hull was similar to that of the M3 Scout Car. The armament consisted of one .50 inch heavy machine gun and two .30 inch machine guns on skate rails, operated by the crew of five.
8. C15TA Armoured Truck
The C15TA Armoured Truck was an armoured load carrier produced by Canada during the Second World War. It was developed from the Otter Light Reconnaissance Car by General Motors Canada along a concept lines of the American M3 Scout Car. The vehicle used the chassis of the Chevrolet C15 Canadian Military Pattern truck design.
9. 39M Csaba
The 39M Csaba was an armoured scout car produced for the Royal Hungarian Army during World War II. The vehicle had a 20 mm cannon and an 8 mm machine gun fixed on a centrally mounted turret, with 9 mm armoured plating. The vehicle was also equipped with a detachable 8 mm light machine gun fired through the rear hatch in the anti-aircraft role. The crew could dismount and carry this MG when conducting reconnaissance on foot. It also had two driving positions – one at the front as normal, and an additional one at the rear.
10. T27 Armored Car
The T27 Armored Car was a prototype armored car developed for the US Army in 1944 by the Studebaker Corporation. The T27 was an eight wheeled vehicle, with the 1st, 2nd and 4th pairs of wheels being powered. With a crew of four, the T27 was armed with two .30 caliber machine guns and a 37 mm cannon. Powered by a Cadillac gasoline 8-cylinder engine, two T27’s were produced in 1944.